Monday, February 28, 2011

So, I know I already posted today...or I guess it would be yesterday but given the time it feels like it's still the same day.
It's funny the way that life/the Lord can put you in your place sometimes. At work there is one unit that I really am not a huge fan of. Mainly because of one patient who I have just found to be rude and uncooperative.
But tonight as I was sitting at work she came up and said hello to me. A few minutes after that I witnessed her changing her clothes and putting on her make-up. And then after that she asked me to help her decide which shoes she wanted to wear and if I would help her put them on.
I realized tonight that as frustrating as this patient might be sometimes, she is still a person. She has the same needs and wants as me. She still wants to look her best, she still wants to talk to people, etc. And yes, some days she might be a little bit ornery, and rude, and impatient, and difficult to work with/help. But aren't we all? Especially if we have been put into a situation like the one at my work. Where basically all of her independence and freedom has basically been taken from her. Where once she was use to going where she wanted when she wanted and doing things herself, independently, she has to look to the staff for every little thing, even something as simple as opening up her closet? I can't say that I would handle that sort of situation any better.
It just gave me a bit of insight tonight, and while I'm sure that I will still find myself getting frustrated at times and dreading working with her, hopefully I'll find it in my hear to be a bit more understanding as well. She's still one of God's children, all the patients are, and they require a little extra help. So it is up to me and the rest of my coworkers to provide them with the help they need and do our best to love them the way that the Lord would.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Dear Felly!!
I am so glad to know you have a blog and to be a follower now. That sounds like a cult. But I really like this post, sometimes that happens to me too, something happens and I just take a step back and I'm like "wow." Love it!! And love you!