Saturday, February 5, 2011

Okay, I know I'm ridiculously bad at updating this thing! What can I say? Life just kind of gets away from me.

Starting where I left off.
I had an awesome summer here in P-town. I made a lot of new friends and it seemed like there was always something going on. Whether it was going fishing in the Provo River, to trips to the local hot springs, to the rope swing out in the Mona Pond, to just getting a game of Ultimate Frisbee together, or having a cap gun war on a Friday night, or going to see a movie, or watching fireworks or whatever. It got to the point where half the guys called me the social epicenter of the ward. I know what you're thinking. Really? Felicia? But I swear to you it's true, and I still question how it happened. Anyway, the point is that I had a great summer and really feel like taking the time off from school was the right thing for me at the time. Even if I never really found a job and struggled a bit financially.
Starting in the fall I began a job working at BYU Independent Study (IS). Also, my roommates Jenny and Rachel moved out which I was really sad to see. They are both really neat girls and they have helped to make me a better person.
Also starting in the fall I sort of began spending a significant amount of time with a friend of mine from the Summer. His name is Dave Weston and he is in the Mechanical Engineering program at BYU. Well, it is Provo, so give it a month and we were dating. I had my doubts at first, but I think it was mostly me just over thinking things as per usual. Now, I'm sure that he is really good for me and to me and that I am lucky to have him. He's really mellow and patient where I'm high strung and irritable. He likes to goof around and play games and find never ending ways to torment me while I tend to be a bit more serious minded. But somehow we made it work. We still are...have been since October.
During the fall semester I took a class on Adult Development and Aging, and it made me kind of realize that I think I want to work with the elderly. Dave laughs at me because he says that most girls see a baby and start falling to pieces about how cute it is...I get that way with old people. At the end of the Fall I graduated with Bachelor's from BYU. Yeppers, I'm a college grad. Weird huh?
In November with my impending graduation I began applying for jobs that would promote some of the concepts I learned in school and aid me along my way to getting my Master's of Social Work (MSW) (yeah, I finally picked). I applied for a position at the Utah State Hospital for the mentally ill working with the patients, helping to implement treatment plans and conducting groups activities as well as assisting them with ADLs (Activities of Daily Living). Well, I missed the initial interview setup and the supervisor let me know that she would contact me if they had any openings. I got a call from her one day while I was at work at IS and so didn't pick up, she left a voicemail saying that they had a canceled interview that day and to call back if I wanted it. I very nearly didn't because I thought that the chances of my getting it were slim. However, I thought better of it, decided it was worth the shot and gave her a call back to set up the interview. Even after the interview I was still pretty skeptical but I received a call back during finals weeks for the Fall Semester notifying me that I was being offered a position. I now work the graveyard shift (11pm-7am) at the hospital. I really feel like the Lord's hand was in it somehow. In any case I just feel blessed to have been able to find a job so soon after graduation, especially in Provo, especially in this economy.
You may be wondering, why I chose to stay in Provo upon my graduation from BYU. And those of you who think it was purely for Dave would be wrong. He did have something to do with it, but the real reason was Grad School. I want to get into the MSW program at BYU, and that being said I decided why bother with moving and then moving back if I am accepted into the program? That being said I finished applying to the MSW program at BYU in the early part of January and now it's just a wait and see game as to whether or not I will get in. Dave was great in helping me to get my application ready. He spent hours proof-reading my essays and making sure everything was polished and then of course Mom did the final review. I was going to apply to other schools but in the end decided against it. I just have a good feeling about BYU, and I don't know that I would be able to afford any of the other schools anyway. But I'll have to see. BYU is still giving me the run around about one of my letters of recommendation having been submitted so I'm going to have to call Monday and make sure that I light a fire under someone's rear-end!
Anyway, I'm trying to think, but I really think that's the end of what's going on for me here in the Utah neighborhood. Love you all!

No comments: