Monday, February 7, 2011

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays Dave has a two hour break in his work/school schedule from 11am-1pm. That being said, it has become my habit Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday nights to ask him if he'll have lunch with me the next day. It's a thing we do. Sometimes if he has a lot of homework that he's behind in or something he says that he'd like to but that he'd better stay on campus and finish it, which is no biggie. The majority of the time though he obliges. Well last night (Sunday) when I asked him if he wanted to do lunch the next day he said he didn't know because he thought he had some homework to do. I told him that was fine and if he decided he could make it for lunch to call me when he was on his way home. This morning/afternoon around noon I woke up to a text message from Dave telling me that he had come home for lunch but forgotten that he had a presentation to give in one of his afternoon classes and needed to stay at his apt and work on it. I hopped out of bed, pulled some sandwich stuffs out of my fridge and meandered down the hall towards Dave's apt where I proceeded to make us lunch while he worked on his presentation. And for all my effort I got Dave teasing me about my bad morning breath. haha :p
After lunch I dropped Dave off back at campus and headed to the gym. It was a really short workout in the exercise plan that I follow which I was both grateful for and disgruntled about.
Last month I applied for the Master's of Social Work program at BYU. Everything went in around that time except for the letter of recommendation from my supervisor, Ann, at the Children's Justice Center.  She tried submitting it electronically like BYU asked her to and they never marked the letter as submitted, but they also never told us why. We never heard anything from BYU about whether or not the letter was submitted, no confirmation, nothing. But they also never mentioned that the submission had failed, so if Ann and I hadn't constantly been checking we would have never known that the submission didn't go through. Ann tried numerous times to submit the recommendation electronically but they weren't taking it and so she finally got fed up and called BYU and asked what the deal was. They told her that when they would try and open the file that it was corrupted on their end and asked her to send it via fax. Ann told me that this occurred about 3 weeks ago. Roughly around the 18th of January. Well I got an e-mail from the Grad. Studies office last Friday night saying that a change had been made to my application. When I looked it just said that Ann had simply started my letter of recommendation and that it hadn't been submitted. And even at that they're showing that it wasn't started until the 25th of January which is about a week after Ann talked to me and told me that she faxed the letter to BYU. Well, it was so convenient that they e-mailed me Friday night when the offices were going to be closed for the weekend and I couldn't call to talk to anyone. So I finally called someone at the Grad Studies Office at BYU about the situation today after I got back from the gym. They said that they're not showing record of having ever received a fax from Ann! :{ I could think of some very choice words for these people right now. I mean, really?! I understand that faxes sometimes don't go through but it seems that the very least the person that Ann spoke to the day she called in could have done would be to wait on the phone with Ann to make sure that the fax went through, or at least checked to make sure that it did and then let someone know. Or, the Grad Studies Office could have let me know sooner that I was still missing a recommendation! I mean my application was due on the 15th of January, here we are nearly a month later and they're just barely telling me that they're still missing a submission. Overall I'm not very impressed with the Grad Studies Office. And what bugs me the most is that their inconsiderateness may cost me a spot in the MSW program. Because really if you think about it, they have started reviewing other applications but they won't have considered mine yet because it's still considered incomplete technically without the letter of recommendation even though everything else was in on time and it's out of my hands now. I just feel like Ann and I both have jumped through hoops and done everything we could to get the letter submitted and have received very little if any help from the Grad Studies Office. I wonder if the people that work in that office realize that they're not just processing application materials but that they're possibly dinking around with someone's future as they have mine for the past few weeks because they can't even send out a courtesy phone call/e-mail to me or to Ann telling us that her numerous attempts to submit the recommendation have all failed! And now, it may delay my entrance into Grad School for another year! I'm really perturbed and have half a mind to call up the office and start ripping someone a new one about this, but I know that I shouldn't because it won't accomplish anything all it will serve to do is get me more worked up and angry about the situation.
I'm working on my anger issues that I have. I know that I have a long way to go but I'm working on it.
After that I showered and hit the store to pick up some stuff for dinner. I'm in a dinner group in my ward, basically a group of 11 of us have gotten together and we each take turns cooking meals one night every two weeks for everyone else. It's a good way to save money, eat real food (besides ramen and mac n' cheese j/k), and get some variety in my diet. Tonight was my day to cook so we had Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. I had to cook it over at Allen and Dave's apt because a) their kitchen was actually semi-clean and b) they had some of the necessary equipment that I lacked. So after I got back from the store I went straight over there and started cooking. I was in the middle of roasting red pepper when Allen announced that he was going to get ready to go do some Parkour training. It's something that Allen, Dave, and their roommate gym all do for fun/exercise. Anyway, Allen mentioned that Dave had just texted him and that he was going to be on his way home soon and that they were going to go "train" when he did. I found this news a little odd since I dropped Dave off at school after lunch and hadn't heard a thing from him. Needless to say this revelation from Allen was immediately followed by a phone call from Dave asking me to come get him from campus. haha
The evening was pretty uneventful, I missed FHE because I was still cooking dinner at the time. After dinner was done I cleaned up Allen's and Dave's kitchen and then we all just hung out until I had to go to work. And again, that's where I am right now.

2 comments:

blondeviolin said...

I'm loving that you're regularly updating your blog! Miss you!

The Rogers said...

Ditto to what Cherstin said. I think I am going to fall over in my chair since you have updated more in the last week than you have the entire time you have had this blog! Love You Georgina!