Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 6- Favorite Superhero

Spiderman

Honestly, how could he not be your favorite?! So, the first Spiderman movie came out the summer between my 8th grade and freshman year of High School. I didn't see it right away, it actually took me quite a while but I remember watching it for the first time one night when I was babysitting at Suzanne and Nathan's after I put the kids to bed and I was glued to the TV. It was so good. Thus, my obsession was born. The second movie came out when I was 16 and it was even better than the first...and the soundtrack really was just amazing. And then....the third one happened. That movie really was kind of a joke, just not good all around. But, I remain a loyal fan! 
I think one of the reasons that I like Spiderman so much is that yeah, he is a superhero, but he is a smart superhero. He uses his brain and in a lot of instances and saves a bunch of human lives due to his knowledge. (This is the same reason that Simon is my favorite chipmunk.) Reference the first and second movies if you have any questions. It speaks to the power of learning and using what God gave you.
The other thing that I like about Spiderman is his motto "with great power comes great responsibility." He chooses to be good and serve people who can't help themselves. This is proven by the instance in which Peter Parker forsakes his superhuman identity but the eventually goes back to it because he realizes how important it is. 

Coming in at #2

I suppose though that in the event the Spidey were to cease existence this guy would do. This one is mainly because when I worked at Blockbuster I worked with this guy name Grant who was obsessed with the Bat. He had Batman action figures and a belt buckle and hats and jackets....he even had the Batman insignia tattooed on his arm....that is a level of devotion I have yet to experience for Spidey. But he and I used to get into Batman vs. Spidey arguments all the time. I used to contend that Batman wasn't really a superhero because he had no super powers...he was simply rich. And Grant used to say that Spiderman was just a nerd who had a run of odd luck with a genetically altered spider...it was an accident not all that super. Anyway, every I see Batman I think of Grant and all of our contentions and it makes me laugh and brings warm fuzzies to my heart. The other thing that I like about Batman is that he has a dark side but like Spiderman he chooses  to be good. 
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that other superheroes don't/didn't make that choice but for these two it appears that it is something that they have/do struggle with and I like that. I think it helps us to realize that being good is a choice that we all have to make.

No comments: