Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 5- A picture of somewhere you've been.

The Sacred Grove.
Palmyra, NY

When I was about 12 Mom and Dad took us on a little family road trip. We drove from El Centro all the way to Maine and back viewing church history and other historical sites along the way. We took a lot of tours of a lot of reconstructed log cabins....let me tell you what. But one of the places that we visited was The Sacred Grove where the Lord and His son, Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith and ushered in the dispensation of the fullness of times. That was a really special experience and I think it was at that time that my testimony of Joseph Smith, his work, and this gospel began to take form. As I walked through that grove of trees I could feel it in my bones for the first time that this gospel is true and that this work is real. That Christ does live and atoned for our sins, and that Joseph Smith did in fact see him that spring day in 1820. And that by following this gospel I can receive eternal salvation in the Celestial Kingdom and live with my family and God forever.
:) It really is a sacred place and you can feel the spirit as you walk through that hallowed ground. I love this picture because to me it kind of looks like the pillar of light that Joseph described when the Lord and Christ appeared.
 
 Nauvoo Temple
Nauvoo, IL

On that same trip I described before Mom and Dad took us to see the Nauvoo temple grounds. At that time the temple had not been rebuilt and so there were only the remaining footprints from the original temple that had burnt down. I was touched then by the sacrifice that the Saints had made to build it. How, Joseph Smith never got to see it finished. How the Saints waited hours to receive their endowments. And how the ultimately left it behind. However, I believe it was the October following our road trip President Hinckley announced the plans to rebuild the Nauvoo temple! We got to go back for the open house and then I was able to watch the dedication of the temple. It was such a neat experience and the spirit was definitely present. I suppose that's why the Nauvoo temple is my favorite. Some day I'm going to go back there to get married!

1 comment:

Wanda Husted said...

Oh Felicia, I have just really enjoyed reading your blog. I don't get on much (at least to blogspot, my whole life is school right now), but I always scroll down to where I last read and catch up. I think my favorite was your 15 facts. How insightful and it's helping me to do a lot of introspective thinking.

I think one of my favorite temples is Nauvoo as well. I know it's where Rebekah plans on getting married. We're taking a trip there this Summer (me and any of the kids that want to go). It's such a special place.