Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Today was a riveting full day of class for the first years of the MSW program!

Each of my classes is 2.5 hrs, but that's okay because I find them infinitely more interesting than the classes that I had to sit through last semester. One of my classes is on psychopathology. So basically the weird disorders and crap that people exhibit. Pretty fascinating stuff. Last semester when I was taking Social Work Direct Practice I would think to myself "Is class over yet?" then I would look up at the clock and it would only be like 9:45am and the class didn't end until 11:30. This semester though with psychopathology that thought didn't even cross my mind and when I did look up at the clock it was like 11:15. I'm a pretty happy camper with the way my classes are shaping up this semester.

Today, in my Stats class we were talking about Type I and Type II errors. A Type I error occurs when researchers reject the null hypothesis and claim that a variable has an effect when in fact it does not. A Type II error occurs when researchers accept the null hypothesis and claim that a variable does not have an effect when in fact it does. We were learning about how Type I is the more dangerous of the two errors to make because you could actually inflict harm on people where as making a Type II error you are just erring on the side of caution. For example, in the case of electroshock therapy, making a Type I error you would say that electroshock had an effect when in fact it didn't and you would end up unnecessarily electrocuting thousands of people, whereas with a Type II error you would say that electroshock didn't have an effect when it did so people wouldn't be getting a potentially effective treatment, but at the same time no one would really know any different. Anyway, the example my teacher was trying to use in class was in terms of sexual contact and viral infection (aids). Right as the words sexual contact came out of my professor's mouth this couple who didn't belong in the class came stumbling into the room. They quickly realized they were in the wrong place and left, and right after they did my professor broke down laughing so hard he was crying and exclaiming "Oh my gosh that was so awkward!" then he started joking and was like "That girl's probably like 'I'm from the honor code office and this is a surprise inspection!' and I can say 'Hey, I may have been talking about sexual contact but at least I remembered to shave this morning!'" Bahaha Ok, so maybe it was one of those had to be there moments but if you were it was super funny.

After school I went to the gym with my roommate Liz, it was good to get some exercise in and also get to spend some time with her and get to know her better. Following that my roommates and I all went grocery shopping which I definitely needed seeing as how I hadn't been shopping for groceries since before I went to Desi's and Mike's. : / My old roommate Jenny also came by for a visit tonight. All in all, I would say today was a pretty 'aight day. The picture above is Jenny and I just goofing off on my bed. She's kind of a crackhead sometimes :) and gets a little camera happy. haha Good memories.

No comments: